Saturday, August 2, 2014

Alaska here we come.

The last few weeks have been incredibly hectic.

The last time I posted, I still had a house full of stuff.

Over the 21st and 22nd the movers packed up and loaded most of our belongings. We were were living on an air mattress for a little while after that. Said air mattress was surprisingly comfortable. Solid decision.

We had to have a repair guy come by to fix some water damaged base boards in our laundry room during that time as well. All of that worked out fine. More on that in a bit.

Had a going away for husband and our friend Jess (who is also moving, although somewhere different). I watched a friend of mine make a poor decision and try out the insanity wing challenge at our local wing place. There was vomiting involved.

Additionally, my little hyundai accent wasn't likely to make it through the mountains that we would be driving through up to Alaska. The jellybean of an Accent was a great car for driving around California, but this trip would likely prove too much. As a result, I have obtained new transportation. A Subaru! She's pretty sweet. Got a roof rack going, more space inside, lots of neato gadgets!

Took the cats to another air force base that's about an hour and a half drive to get health certifications. Java pooped on the way there.

Then, on my birthday I had to drive to San Francisco! Which, although usually a fun destination was for businessy stuff. (Though we did have a nice-ish lunch and we got some souvenir cups). I had to go to the passport agency to get a passport ASAP. The military people didn't send off my packet of passport materials until much, much later than needed. Although we'd submitted the materials mid-May, for some reason they delayed sending it until the last day of June. This action, proved to be quite the stressor. So, the husband and I braved both morning and afternoon bumper to bumper traffic getting on and off of San Fran. So much ugh. But I got my new passport. All should be fine.

One day following that my husband did his final out from the base.

Yesterday, we had our final housing inspection. The cost of the base board repair was far less than I'd expected. Definitely a weight off of our shoulders.

Then we made sure everything was loaded up and drove a subaru, a truck, and two cats up to Eugene, Oregon. That's where we are now.

The drive wasn't too bad at all. The mountains weren't too steep or crazy. It took about seven hours though, and we arrived after 1 am. My uncle (who is amazing) was kind enough to get us a hotel for two nights. So, we were able to arrive, check in and get settled without any problems. Upon speaking to him this morning, said uncle has invited us out to sushi! (I love sushi. Nomnomnom.) I feel very fortunate to have such a kind family. I haven't been able to see them very frequently throughout my life, but whenever I have they've been extremely generous and loving.

I've also spoken to a cousin in Washington and she is very excited to meet up with me. I'm glad we're getting to drive up the Pacific coast! I finally get to see my family! I'll have to call my grandmother up in Washington as well to let her know how things are going.

While in Washington, we're going to drop the truck off at the port to have it shipped the rest of the way. Then we'll just be one big happy family in the car, driving through Canada.


So, we've finally begun our move. No more California. Soon- Alaska.


Tata.

No comments:

Post a Comment